Sunday, April 10, 2011

Grains - Too Much?


The other day I had a conversation about food groups & food servings. I said it was my belief that unless a person had health condition (ie diabetes) a person should follow My Pyramid to have a well balanced diet. There was a lot of surprise to that, and one person asked, "What about grains though? Eleven servings seem so much."

Eleven servings does seem like a lot, and I completely understand that as a daunting amount of grains to eat. However, My Pyramid suggests having 6-11 servings of grain. You're not required to eat eleven servings. Also, keep in mind that 1 slice of bread is one serving of grain. If you've had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch, you've most likely had 3-4 grain servings already. Add a cup of rice with your dinner, you're now at 6 servings. Most people are probably eating their required servings of grains, with out even knowing it.

Don't be overwhelmed by My Pyramid or food serving suggestions. We don't realize what one serving actually equates to some times. Piece of Cake will be presenting more on food servings, what they should look like, and how much you should have of each group. Stay Tuned. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment