Wednesday, April 27, 2011

America Runs on Dunkin'

As a born and raised New Englander I have a soft spot in my heart for Dunkin Donuts. On a recent last minute trip to the Boston area, I frequented the DD's every day for their famous ice coffees. And since it was vacation and I didn't want to cook, I also ate some donuts.

I ordered the Old Fashion donuts with an ice coffee with skim milk. My favorite Dunkin' order. I had read somewhere before that those donuts have less saturated fat and less calories. Today I went onto the Dunkin Donuts nutrition website to look up exactly what was in these cakes. And was I way off on my assumption.

The Old Fashion has 320 calories (I thought it had 150-200), 25 grams of Fat (34 % of DV) and 10 grams of Saturated Fat (50% of DV). I scrolled through the other donuts and discovered that the Chocolate Donut had only 240 calories, 11 grams of Fat (23% of DV) and 4.5 grams of Saturated Fat (11% DV). I never would have guessed the chocolate one would have been a better choice..

Are either of these great nutrition breakfeast choices? No. But I only do it 4-5x a year. I also paired the donuts with a cup of strawberries and I had a 15 minute walk to DD and back. Point is I knew it wasn't the best choice in the world when I was doing it, but I wish I had selected the donut that was only 25% of my DV for Saturated Fat and not 50%. Just goes to show that you need to look this information up and be fully aware of the food choices you're making.

No comments:

Post a Comment